Starting early is one of the best ways to prepare for a major life event, like moving. Our team of movers at You Move Me in Vancouver, WA have set up a checklist to help you make sure you have everything for an efficient and smooth move. You’ll want to start planning your move and looking at the process a month or so before your moving day. We hope this list has all of the useful information you are looking for.
About one month before you move:
- Research moving companies.
- Obtain estimates. Make sure your movers are licensed with the state, as your items will not be protected by insurance with an unlicensed mover. It’s also important to clarify with your movers how they will charge their hourly rate. Some movers will offer a lower hourly rate but charge you from the moment they leave their office until they get back to their office, as opposed to charging you just for the hours they worked. You should be able to observe and validate the movers’ hours.
- Arrange to rent a storage facility or portable moving container if needed.
- Begin gathering packing supplies like moving boxes, packaging tape, bubble wrap or newspaper. Your moving company may be able to pack you if you choose to do that as well (we do!).
- Notify the post office of your upcoming address change.
About three weeks before you move:
- Go through all of your items and get rid of anything you don’t want to take with you. Donate to local charities and hold a garage sale. You’ll feel so much better downsizing before you start to pack.
- Prepare your house, take any large rugs to the dry cleaners, find receipts for your big ticket items and keep them with you just in case.
- Schedule an appointment with a service technician to do any maintenance on your larger appliances before you move.
About one week before you move:
- Contact electric, water, gas, telephone, and garbage companies to notify them of your disconnection date.
- Begin packing (unless your moving company is taking care of this for you). Some people like to start packing less-used items earlier than this.
- Drain fuel from your lawn mower and other machinery to prepare it for moving day.
- Finish running your errands, like picking up items you had cleaned or repaired.
- Return anything you may have borrowed from your neighbors.
- Double check your list to make sure you are on track for the upcoming move.
A few days before you move:
- Prepare major appliances and electronics for moving day. For example, eat and dispose of any of your perishable foods, and thaw the freezer.
- Pack a suitcase or two with clothing and toiletries for easy access during the first few days in your new home.
- Pack a moving box with essentials that you will need immediately upon arrival in your new home.
The day of the move:
- Verify the movers are the ones you hired, and that they have the correct delivery address.
- Gather all keys and leave them with your realtor or in a designated area.
- Once the house is empty, check every room and closet one last time to make sure nothing gets left behind.
- Before you leave your home, make sure all doors and windows are securely locked.
This list should be a good foundation to get you going on your upcoming move. You Move Me Vancouver is a full service moving company that would love to assist you with your packing, moving and anything else that may come up along the way. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment for your move!