PRINTABLE MOVING CHECKLIST
Stay organized leading up to your move with our essential moving checklist. It’s filled with helpful tips and timelines to get you organized.
Download our Printable Moving Checklist HERE!
MOVING CHECKLIST COVERING THE BASICS
When you’re moving, you want to plan ahead as much as possible. It’s best to break it down into stages to make it seem less overwhelming. Here’s a preview of the most important tasks to tackle and when to do them:
WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Get rid of everything you don’t want moved — consider booking junk removal service to make it fast and easy.
- Book elevators and make arrangements to save a parking spot for the truck in front of both locations for up to 4 hours.
- Make a list of people and businesses to notify about your new address.
- Get PACKING SUPPLIES — BOXES, TAPE, PAPER / BUBBLE WRAP for delicate items.
- Get insurance for your items. High-value items will need verified values in advance of a move.
- Label items right on the box as you pack, including which room they go in.
- Check all furniture and note any scratches or dents.
- Book a moving company!
1 WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
- Take down and pack all pictures and hanging items.
- Make sure all loose items and electronics are packed.
- Remove all fragile items from dressers and desks.
- Clean out and pack the bathrooms — you’ll need these items right away at the new place.
- Pack a bag with a change of clothes and toiletries to keep with you for the first night.
DAY OF THE MOVE
- Remove blankets and linens from beds and pack them up.
- Ensure all items are removed from appliances.
- After the truck is loaded up, do a final walkthrough to check all rooms, closets, and cabinets for any missed items.
MORE MUST-HAVE MOVING TIPS
We’re happy to share our expert moving secrets with you! The key to a smooth moving experience is being highly organized. If you take the time to plan things out before the big day, your move will be a breeze.
PACKING seems complicated, but you can keep it simple with a little planning:
- Set a goal — one room per day per person should give you enough time. Budget more for rooms with fragile items.
- Remember — the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- One room in a box. It makes organizing the new place much easier.
- Boxes that aren’t full aren’t stackable. If you can’t fill a box, stuff the remaining space with paper.
- Don’t pack boxes on moving day. You’ll end up losing track of things.
PREP FOR YOUR MOVERS:
- Be well packed and clearly labeled.
- Clear out everything that is not coming.
- Movers load boxes first, so staging them in the most accessible room is best.
- Take the beds apart before the move.
- During load up, close doors on rooms that are complete — movers will know to focus on other areas.
- Direct traffic at the front of the house during the unload, informing the movers where each piece goes.
ACCESS FOR MOVERS:
- Secure designated parking as close to the house or apartment as possible.
- If there is a difficult area to move things through, having items empty and disassembled helps.
- Any dressers that have more than 3 rows should be emptied. Drawers can be left in because they take less space as one piece.
Once you’ve completed all these steps for move prep, you should be all set for a smooth moving experience! Have you booked a mover yet?